Monday, December 28, 2009

Mandiras' Interview

This is your first stint as commentator. What kind of homework did you do? 
I personally want to thank Aamir Khan for creating such a learning tool for me?I've watched Lagaan 15 times so far. 


2. How important is it for our cricketers to improve their technique? 
I really can't comment on that ... (blushing) ... Oh! That! Yes, it is 
very important for them to work on their technique constantly .... 


3. What are the qualities required in a commentator? 
I think most other requirements are obvious, but here's a tip?I've 
discovered that getting your teeth whitened really helps. 


4. How good is your knowledge of cricket? 
Better than George Bush's knowledge of geography. 


Okay, tell us, who's the third man? 
Well, in the last match it was Sourav Ganguly. Charu, hey Charu, didn't Sourav bat third in the match against Pakistan? 


6. Tut tut, what position does the third man take? 
Listen, you go read the Kamasutra. I don't have time for nonsense like this. 


7. Mandira, third man is a fielding position. Where does the third man stand? 
Oh, you mean thaaat. After the first and the second. 


8. Do you know where a cover drive is headed? 
I'm afraid in cricket, the ball has a mind of its own, and a lot of the times you have to wait and watch. I'm sorry, I can't help you with that one. 

9. What's second slip? 
The second time a fielder drops a catch. 


10. What's a wide? 
Well, Kapil said my neckline was rather wide today ... 


11. Female cricket commentators are rare. Who have you modelled yourself on? 
Jane Fonda. Do you know how popular her fitness videos are? And since cricket is also about fitness, there could be no one better for me to emulate. 


12. Do you feel that cricket is a fair game? 
Mostly, but sometimes I feel that there is a loophole. For instance, they say there's a third umpire. But who knows if there's a person inside that screen. 


13. People say you have been selected as commentator to titillate the 
male audience. Is that true? 
Really?! But the producers said I had a talent ... 

14. People are looking forward to your outfit for the finals ... What 
will you be wearing for the match? 
Whether India reaches the finals or not, I will show my patriotism by 
wearing a designer ghaghra choli in tricolour. 


15. That strapped choli you wore the other day ... isn't it cold in the 
studio? 
Not at all. In fact, it's rather hot. Have you noticed how Srikkanth and 

Kapil melt like wax candles while they're around me? 


16. How do you prepare for matches? 
I first find out who is playing against whom, and in all fairness wish 
both teams all the best. And, if India is playing, I sing a special Hum honge kamyaab. 


17. Do you have a message for the Indian cricket team? 
Hum honge kamyaab, hum honge kamyaab ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment